I had some leftover pieces of pallet boards from this and this project, and decided to put the scraps together to make an American Flag. I grabbed a bunch of pieces that were the same thickness and cut them all to the same length with a chop saw. I designed the flag to be constructed in three separate panels, measuring everything with an effort to keep the flag fairly close to the accurate proportions.
I painted all the boards with some white paint (slightly watered down to give it a white washed look) then taped off the sections for the red stripes with painters tape.
For the stars I created a paper template and traced all the star outlines onto the white background. To fill in the background I carefully painted in two coats of the deep blue around the white stars.
Once all the paint dried I went back over the flag with the orbital sander to give it a little bit of a worn look.
The total cost for this pallet wood American flag project was about $15 for paint. And about 6 hours of my time.
My grandma had a box full of postal first day covers from the 40s and 50s that were just sitting in a box for the past few decades so I decided to frame a few for some cheap artwork.
I picked up four frames from IKEA and cut some white posterboard to fit in the frames to act as the mat for the frame.
Sorting through the first day covers I pulled out a few of my favorites, carefully centered them, lightly taped them to the posterboard and hung all the frames up on the wall.
Total cost of this first day cover wall art – around $65 (for the frames and posterboard)
I’ve seen lots of pictures of beautiful wheatgrass centerpieces like this:
and I had a few galvanized metal containers I picked up in the dollar section at Target so I decided to use them to try growing my own wheatgrass. I found the seed here on Amazon and bought a 5lb bag (way more than I really needed).
I found lots of helpful wheatgrass instructions online like this youtube video and in a few days I had some rapidly growing wheatgrass on my hands.
Most of the containers were used as table centerpieces at my church for Easter and the grass looks great for a couple of weeks – very bright green and “Spring-y”
I had some leftover pieces of pallet wood from this project so I decided to make another sign with it.
I stained the wood then did a little bit of sanding once it was dried. The words I chose – “Hope is an anchor for the soul” are inspired by Hebrews 6:19. I sketched them loosely in chalk before following up with a paintbrush.
After everything was finished and fully dried I sanded over the letters again and attached all the boards together on the back with a thin piece of plywood and some screws.
With most of the kitchen remodeling complete (painted cabinets, new countertops, new floor, etc.) one of the major remaining projects was backsplash tile installation. After looking at a ton of different options we decided to go with white subway tile. It’s simple, classic, inexpensive, and easy to install.
we picked up a few boxes of 3″ x 6″ white subway tile from Lowe’s, with the cost per tile around 22 cents.
We laid out the first couple of rows to get an idea of how the tiles would line up.
To try and minimize the mess, the countertops were covered with paper and the walls were taped.
We mixed the thinset and started the installation. Tile cuts were made using a wet tile saw that was borrowed from a friend. Rubber tile spacers helped to make sure the spacing between every tile was even.
The day after the tile was all installed we mixed up the grout – a light grey color to provide a tiny bit of contrast from the white tile.
Once the grouting was finished all the spaces between countertop and tile were caulked. The project took a whole weekend but cost less than $150 in materials. Can’t beat that.
Before starting this project I found a ton of great resources online for a DIY subway tile backsplash installation including the following:
The Mustard Ceiling Blog
Do It Yourself
The oak vanity in the downstairs powder room had the same look as the old kitchen cabinets. So I gave it an update using the same process as the kitchen cabinets, but this time with a tinted primer and black paint.
The oak framed bathroom mirror also got the same treatment. New brushed nickel hardware was added to the doors and drawers and the cabinet got a new laminate counter top.
Christmas chalkboard inspired by this free printable.
Cardboard letters from Joann’s painted with some leftover satin nickel spray paint.
I took an old frame and strung wire across it for hanging pictures, etc. Since it’s the Christmas season I decided to take some old sheet music I found at a thrift store, print some letters on it and hang them from the wire with some binder clips.
I added some chalkboard spray paint to these old silver trays.
More to come!
The downstairs powder room got updated with some new vinyl flooring (the same from the upstairs bathroom project)
The white walls were warmed up with a fresh coat of Valspar’s Churchill Hotel Wheat paint and some panels of beadboard and trim.